Senior Database Administrator / SQL Developer (Permanent)
Title: Senior Database Administrator / SQL Developer (Permanent)
Vehicle Communications Software (VCS) – Cork, Ireland
Snap-on Incorporated is a $9.3 billion leading global developer, manufacturer and distributor of tool and equipment solutions for professional technicians, motor service shop owners, specialty repair centres, original equipment manufacturers, and industrial tool users world-wide. Product lines include hand and power tools, diagnostics and shop equipment, tool storage products, diagnostics software and other solutions for the transportation and industrial service industries.
Snap-on’s mission is to create value by providing innovative solutions to the transportation service and industrial markets worldwide. Snap-on has long been the leader in producing the highest quality hand tools for the professional technician, but today, Snap-on is more than a hand tool company. Today, Snap-on surrounds its customers with a full range of capabilities.
Snap-on’s present and future success is driven by its competitive advantages. These advantages give substance to Snap-on’s ambitions, shape its strategies and define the essence of its value as an investment and an institution. Snap-on has assembled the industry’s most complete portfolio of technology solutions and has the development capabilities to address the service challenges of tomorrow.
The Cork facility is one of several Snap-on global engineering sites and employs over 70 development professionals. The European Vehicle Communication Software (VCS) team consists of 30 people within the Cork facility, operating within a wider team of employees located in the US, China, Australia and Brazil.
Snap-on Diagnostics ( http://www1.snapon.com/diagnostics ) is seeking to hire an outstanding Senior Database Administrator / SQL Developer to assist Snap-on’s Vehicle Communication Software (VCS) team maintain and release quality software products. Candidates must possess a keen interest in software development best practice. The candidate should be self-motivated, able to work on his/her own initiative and be able to work in a team environment.
Specific tasks include but are not limited to:
- Implementation of MS SQL Server administration best practice with regard to
- Backup and restore strategies
- Scheduled maintenance procedures
- Performance analysis and troubleshooting
- Query/data access optimization
- Implement and document database administration and development best practice.
- Develop and implement high availability database systems (99.9%+ uptime).
- Work closely with I/T to determine and implement software and hardware upgrades as needed to promote system stability and performance
- Design and implement data export mechanisms in support of data sharing activities across Snap-on subsidiaries.
- Generating and publishing web enabled reports utilizing Internet Information Services (IIS), SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS), SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS), and Data Extraction Transformation Loading (ETL).
- Generate ad-hoc reports and data extracts to assist authoring teams analyze data across multiple vehicles
- Review and approve proposed SQL code changes.
- Work with various constituencies to gather requirements for enhancements to the existing system.
- Minimum 5 yrs experience in developing database software.
- Minimum 5 yrs experience in managing mission critical database installations.
- Expert in design and development of MS SQL Server 2005 and 2008 based software.
- Expert in TSQL, SSRS, SSIS.
- BSCS, BSEE or BSSE
- MCDBA, MCSE or equivalent experience
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience with Oracle, Access, Excel and Interbase database platforms
- Experience with/knowledge of Microsoft .Net technologies
- Windows XP, 7 O/S experience
- Experienced in a formal project management methodology
The candidate should be:
- Able to work on his/her own initiative and be able to work on a team.
- Interaction with clients, customers and engineers, requires that the candidate be a good communicator in both verbal and the written word.
If you are interested in this position please email email@example.com Ref: VCS – 044
Closing date for this position is Friday the 3rd February 2017