Join us next Thursday 15th April at 8 – 9 am for our next Tech Talk webinar which will be on: Open Source. Open source software is made by various people and circulated under an OSD-compliant license which grants all the rights to use, study, change, and share the software in modified and unmodified form. During this webinar expert panellists will be discussing their thoughts and experiences of open source.
Expert panellists include:
- Karen Egan, Senior VP Global Support at VMware
- Stephen Stack, CTO, Microsoft Services Group at EY
- Joe Lennon, Founder & CTO at Workvivo
Registration: Please click on the following link for registration:
Technology companies are using open source software to innovate.
- Companies like Uber, Facebook, Strype are built on open source software.
- Most mobile phones use open source operating systems based on Linux.
- Linux instances exceed Windows instances in Azure and AWS.
- Popular development tools such as Git, Eclipse and Bootstrap are all opensource.
- 30% of developers use Python making it the most popular programming language.
- There are myriads of open source and free products such as pgSQL, pfSense and TrueNAS.
Enterprise IT Departments are adopting open source, but much more slowly than their tech company counterparts. Some panellists on this webinar will represent Cork based tech companies that are developing platforms on open source technologies and we will be discussing the following questions:
- Why open source is ubiquitous in the technology sector?
- Is there an opportunity for enterprises to adopt open source to increase agility and reduce costs?
- What might the risks be?
- What might the benefits be?
Joining them on the panel are a number of seasoned Enterprise IT professionals and we will be asking them:
- What is their adoption strategy for open source and what are the results to date?
- What (if anything) is preventing the adoption of open source and c these barriers be overcome?
- Is there a need for a support partner (the Red Hat model) in order to adopt open source?
Overview of Speakers
Karen has over 24 years’ experience in the Software/IT industry with 19 years in Technical Support. Her career started as a software developer and since 1997 she has worked for American Corporations including Apple, Motorola and VMware. Karen has held many roles within VMware Global Services and today is responsible for global support of new/strategic products, all customer escalations and customer success for VMware’s on premise solutions.
Stephen Stack is CTO of the Microsoft Services Group in the Technology Consulting practice of Ernst & Young LLP with a strategic focus across Azure, Modern Work place and Business Applications technologies. Stephen is a progressive, Innovative, customer focused leader with over 20 years’ experience in leading organizations Technology and Business growth strategies from across industry verticals from Fortune 50 companies in tech and finance to startups and non-profits. Stephen is an expert open source contributor and maintainer, and has developed, amongst other things, an hugely successful open source Network Configuration management tool called rConfig which is used by over 20,000 companies globally, is download 100s of times per months and is 10 years old this year.